MELBOURNE FRINGE AT DANCEHOUSE 2017
EOIs NOW OPEN!
13 April 2017 - 15 May 2017
EOIs close Sunday May 14, midnight
Dancehouse invites you to submit an expression of interest to perform your work in our iconic venue as part of the 2017 Melbourne Fringe Festival.
Dancehouse is Australia's leading centre for independent dance with an internationally recognised curatorial reputation and dedicated, ever-expanding audience.
Our 3 performance spaces are available for the presentation of new or existing, full-length or short works, creating a vibrant and cutting edge Fringe season. This is one of only a few opportunities to present your work at Dancehouse outside of our curated programs. We welcome works from all art forms that place the moving body at the core of their investigation: dance; performance; physical theatre; circus; live art; lecture-demonstration; and cabaret.
As a guide, works should be no longer than 1 hour and can be presented on weeknights in one of three timeslots: 6.30pm, 7pm and 8.30pm; and on weekends we also offer an earlier 5pm timeslot. We allow for seasons of between 2 and 6 performances and, to help cover costs, shorter works can be presented as part of a double-bill.
All proceeds from Melbourne Fringe ticket sales go directly to the artists. Dancehouse does not charge fees on ticket sales.
For over 25 years, Dancehouse has been at the epicenter of Australian independent dance culture. From our base in Melbourne, our reputation and influence have crossed state boundaries to shape the art form nationally and internationally. We remain Australia's only performing arts venue dedicated solely to the creation and presentation of contemporary dance and we are leaders in devising and delivering comprehensive and inspirational programs for dance making and dance thinking. Dancehouse is also a hub of knowledge and resources—a presenter of outstanding programs targeting multiple communities and a fierce advocate for the vibrancy and literacy of the Australian independent dance sector.
WHAT WE OFFER
All Dancehouse's programs are committed to artistic process. We endeavor to build a supportive environment that allows artists more time in the space; more time for warming up; longer tech rehearsals in production week; access to the space for final rehearsals; and affordable rehearsal space in pre-production weeks. As an artist-centred environment, presenting at Dancehouse ensures your Fringe performance season runs smoothly,
We provide technical support and work with you so that you can focus on the artistic side of things. Consequently, during the Melbourne Fringe, in each space, we house only one show or one double bill per week.
Use of one of our three spaces:
- Sylvia Staehli Theatre- black box, frontal seating, 104 seat capacity
- Upstairs Studio- white box, multiple seat configuration possible, 70-100 seat capacity
- Skylab – studio, 30 seat capacity
Preferential access to space for rehearsal prior to your season, charged at $10/hr
- If needed, a dedicated technician for bump in/out, tech rehearsal and dress rehearsal totalling 4 hours per rehearsal.
- Light/AV/sound operator (one only) if required for shows.
- Access to the standard in-house lighting rig and sound equipment for the season (any additional equipment will be at a cost to the artist). If you are intending to apply as part of a double bill, please note that we will be unable to refocus lights in the turn around between each performance. Please note there is no lighting rig in the smaller studio.
- Access to preferential deals negotiated by Dancehouse, should any extra equipment be hired.
- Access to our Venue Manager and Production Manager to assist with the coordination of the season at Dancehouse, and to ensure risk and safety policy compliance, according to industry standards. Additional charges may apply.
- Access to Dancehouse Greenroom.
- Access to free onsite wifi.
- All power and outgoings.
EXAMPLE OF SCHEDULE
- for one week with up to 4 shows (additional shows by negotiation) – an example schedule is as follows (final schedule to be negotiated with successful artists):
Monday: Bump in, rehearsal in space, tech rehearsal with operator (up to 6 hours)
Tuesday: Dress rehearsal with operator (up to 4 hours)
Wednesday: Show 1 (access to space from 6pm)
Thurs: Show 2 (access to space from 6pm)
Fri: Show 3 (access to space from 6pm)
Sat: Show 4 (access to space from 6pm)
Sun: Bump out
BOX OFFICE & PUBLICITY SUPPORT
All ticketing operates through the Melbourne Fringe Festival, however Dancehouse will run an onsite Box Office for any unsold tickets. Dancehouse requests that you use our ticket rates: $25 full, $20 concession, $15 member. Dancehouse will not take ANY of the box office proceeds. The artist will keep all box office income less any fees that the Melbourne Fringe Festival may charge.
You will also have access to:
- Dancehouse Box Office Manager and FOH staff for onsite ticket sales and ushering.
- Access to pay bar during the season (proceeds go to Dancehouse).
- Access to our Communications Manager for publicity advice.
- Program notes for circulation at the performance.
- Fortnightly email newsletter and social media circulation to Dancehouse database (over 6500 subscribers).
- Online listings on various industry forums.
- Presence on the Dancehouse website, including ticketing link.
- Flyer display in our foyer.
Fees for presenting a Melbourne Fringe season at Dancehouse range from $650 to $3500.
For example, a fee of $650 would apply to the SKYLAB space as a part of a double-bill and a stand-alone 4 evening season in the Sylvia Staehli theatre with a dedicated technician would be $3500*
*Please note that additional costs may apply depending on the scale of your work or project management required. In order to keep your costs down, we recommend that your show does not contain large sets or items that need to remain on the stage during the entire season and can be packed away easily and quickly after your show each night.
You will retain all box office income less Melbourne Fringe ticketing fees. For information, estimated box office proceeds for a 4-night season in our main spaces based on a 50% attendance are $4,000 and for our small space is $1,200.
Dancehouse does not charge fees on ticket sales.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please complete all sections of the online Expression of Interest form: HERE
Applications close Tuesday May 9, midnight .
We will advise of the outcome of applications by COB Friday May 12.
- Successful applicants will need to register their show with Melbourne Fringe by Monday May 29.
- Early Bird Melbourne Fringe registration closes May 15.
- No feedback will be available regarding EOI applications.
- You may propose to present a double-bill along with another artist of your choosing. In this case, please submit one application together that includes details of both works.
For more information please contact Program Producer Ashley Dyer: HERE or on 03 9347 2860